Imagine having access to essential food supplies at subsidized rates, ensuring food security for your family. That’s the power of a ration card in Tamil Nadu. Whether you live in Tamil Nadu or planning to move here, it’s important to understand ration card system. In this guide, we’ll walk you through every aspect of the ration card in Tamil Nadu, from application to benefits, eligibility to FAQs. Let’s dive in!
Introduction to Ration Card in Tamil Nadu
A ration card is a vital document that allows eligible families to purchase essential commodities at government-subsidized rates. In Tamil Nadu, this system plays a significant role in ensuring food accessibility and affordability for its residents. The state government has made it easier for eligible families to get this benefit without any problems.
The type of ration card determines the quantity of subsidized items allotted to a household. The Government of Tamil Nadu provides a Smart Ration Card as a substitute for the traditional ration card. These smart cards, resembling ATM cards, are the electronic equivalent of ration booklets.
Different Types of Ration Cards in Tamil Nadu:
The government offers two ration card types in Tamil Nadu based on financial categories: Priority House hold (PHH) and Non-Priority Household (NPHH) cards.
- Priority Household (PHH) Ration Card: This card is intended for families falling under the Below Poverty Line (BPL) category. It ensures that those who are financially vulnerable receive essential commodities at subsidized rates.
- Non-Priority Household (NPHH) Ration Card: Individuals belonging to the Above Poverty Line (APL) category are eligible for this card. While not in as dire need of subsidies, these households can still benefit from government assistance.
Types of NPHH Ration Cards:
The Targeted Public Distribution System (TPDS) has 4 types of NPHH ration cards, each designed to address varying household needs:
- Rice Card: This card provides access to subsidized rice, a staple food in many households.
- No Commodity Card: While not entitled to specific commodities, this card still holds significance for government records and identification.
- Sugar Card: Eligible households can obtain sugar at subsidized rates with this card.
- Others: This category encompasses various additional commodities that households may require.
Documents Required for a Smart Ration Card:
The documents required for a smart ration card are:
- A copy of an old PDS book.
- A photo of the head of the family.
- Proof of residence:
- Aadhaar Card
- Rental Agreement
- Telephone Bill
- Front Page of bank Passbook
- Electricity Bill
- Gas Consumer Bill
Eligibility Criteria for a Tamil Nadu Ration Card:
The eligibility criteria for getting a Tamil Nadu ration card is as follows:
- You should be a citizen of India.
- Your family should be Indian citizens.
- You and your family must be living and cooking separately.
- You and your family should be residents of Tamil Nadu.
- You or your family should not possess any family card in any other state of India.
- You or your family members should not be enrolled in any other family card in Tamil Nadu.
- You and your family members must be close relatives.
How to Apply for a Ration Card in Tamil Nadu Online?
You can apply for a ration card online or in a nearby Common Service Center. Follow the below steps to apply for a ration card online:
- Go to the Tamil Nadu Public Distribution System website.
- Click on the “Smart Card Application
- Enter the details about the head of the household/family and the address details. The head of household should be the eldest female family member. If she’s under 18, a male member can be in charge until she comes of age.
- Enter the details of the family members and card type.
- Upload your photograph.
- Upload the proof of residence.
- Provide the mobile number of the head of the family.
- Provide your gas connection details
- Click on the submit button.
- You will receive a reference number after submission. This reference number can be used to track the status of the application.
How to Apply for a Ration Card in Tamil Nadu Offline?
You can apply for the NPHH ration card offline as well by going to the nearest PDS office. Below is the process for same:
- Visit the nearest Public Distribution System office near you.
- Fill up the application form for a new NPHH ration card.
- Attach the copies of aadhar card and other government ID proofs of all the family members.
- Attach the address proof if your address does not match as the one on the aadhar card.
- Get and fill out an undertaking form to make sure you do not fall into any special categories.
- Submit the form along with all the attached documents to the concerned authority.
- This procedure should be done by the head of the family.
NPHH Ration Card Benefits in Tamil Nadu:
There are two kinds of ration cards APL and BPL. These are divided into Priority and Non-Priority household. The benefits of having a Non-Priority Household (NPHH) ration card is:
- Families under NPHH Ration Card can avail essential items such as Rice, Sugar, Wheat, Kerosene, , Oil, Toor Dal, etc. These ration cardholders belong to the NPSH or NPHHL category.
- People holding the NPHHS ration card can only avail sugar as an essential item.
- NPHHNC ration card holders cannot avail any essential item.
How to Check Tamil Nadu Ration Card Status?
After applying for the smart ration card, you can check its status by following the procedure below.
- Go to the official TNPDS website.
- From the right handed column of the page, click on “required status request”.
- Enter the reference number provided to you after the application for the ration card.
- After clicking on the submit button, you will be redirected to the page that shows the status of the application.
How to Download Ration Card in Tamil Nadu?
You can apply for a ration card in Tamil Nadu either online or offline, but to download the ration card, you will have to follow the online procedure:
- Go to the official website of TNPDS.
- Go to the citizen login on the left side of the page.
- Enter the mobile number linked with your ration card.
- Click the “Submit” button.
- After logging into your TNPDS account, go to “smart card print” tab.
- You can print the ration card or “Save now” to download Tamil Nadu ration card to your desired location.
How to Make Tamil Nadu Ration Card Correction Online?
The TNPDS website enables users to edit their ration card details online. Follow these steps:
- Go to the official TNPDS website: www.tnpds.gov.in.
- Click ‘Beneficiary’ in the top menu.
- Enter your registered mobile number and OTP.
- Access your TNPDS profile.
- Click ‘Smart Card Details’ to edit ration card info.
- Hit ‘Edit’ next to the detail you want to change.
- Make changes and upload documents if needed.
- Submit changes; a new reference number will be generated.
- Use the reference number to track status changes.
In summary, a Tamil Nadu ration card guarantees affordable food access for families. This comprehensive guide covers all aspects, including application, benefits, eligibility, and FAQs. It provides a thorough understanding of the Tamil Nadu ration card system.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. If I want to add a new member to my family ration card, can I do that?
Ans: Yes, you can add a new family member to your ration card. Just apply online on the TNPDS website.
2. Is it possible to apply for a ration card in Tamil Nadu online?
Ans: Yes, you can apply for a ration card online in Tamil Nadu. Visit the official website at https://www.tnpds.gov.in/ to start your application.
3. Should I provide the reference number to check the status of the ration card online?
Ans: Yes, you’ll need a reference number to check your ration card status online. This number helps track your application’s progress.
4. Can I make any corrections to the ration card online?
Ans: Yes, you can fix mistakes or update details on your Tamil Nadu ration card online. Keep your card info accurate.
5. How long do I have to wait for my ration card to be issued for me?
Ans: Getting a new ration card takes about 15 to 30 days. This covers applying, processing, and receiving the card.
6. Do I have to pay any fee when I apply for a new ration card in Tamil Nadu?
Ans: Yes, there’s a small fee of Rs.5 for applying for a new ration card in Tamil Nadu. Pay it at the AC or TSO office with your application.
7. Who is eligible for 1000 RS ration card in Tamilnadu?
Ans: To be eligible, applicants must be at least 21 years old, and only one woman or woman-head from a family with a ration card can apply for the Rs 1,000 monthly support.
8. What is the income limit for white ration card in Tamil Nadu?
Ans: The income limit is Rs.1,00,000/-. The White Ration card is issued to those whose annual income is equal to or above Rs. 1,00,000/-, categorized as Above Poverty Line (APL). These classifications are set by the Food and Civil Supplies Department of India.
9. Can a single person apply for ration card in Tamil Nadu?
Ans: Yes, a person living alone for at least one year in a separate residence can apply for a family card. They should meet all the document requirements mentioned in the new family card application section.