Along with your passport, you need a visa to enter any country. It is a legal document issued by the authorities from the country you are visiting. It is affixed to your passport and is valid for a specific time.
How to apply for a visa?
The three main steps in a regular visa application include:
- Applying online
- Submitting documents
- Collecting the visa from the relevant centre
Online Process to Apply for Visa
Here is a step-by-step guide to filling up the online application form for a visa:
- Access the application form using this link — https://indianvisaonline.gov.in.
- Select the Indian Mission/Visa Application Center from where you intend to apply for the Visa from the tab ‘Select Mission’.
- Carefully fill the application form.
- Once you submit it, the system will automatically generate an Application Id. Remember to keep this id with you as you’ll need it for the later processes.
- You will now be asked whether you want to seek an appointment or not. Select ‘Yes’ if you want to seek an appointment. You’ll also need to make payment online if you select ‘Yes’. Choose ‘No’ if you only want to print the submitted application form.
- When you select ‘No’, you will have to take the print out of the submitted online application form and approach the concerned Indian Mission/Visa Application Center for submission of the online form, along with supporting documents.
- When you select ‘Yes’, the system automatically prompts you to Select your preferred Date and Time of appointment at the concerned Indian Mission/Visa Application Center, and pay the Visa fee, service charge, VAT etc. as applicable according to the Visa type.
- Please note: in case the facility of Appointment Scheduling and e-Payment is not available for the concerned Indian mission/Visa Application Center, you will have to take the print out of the online application form and visit the concerned Indian Mission to submit it, along with supporting documents. You will have to make the payment there.
Offline Process to Apply for Visa
In the case of an offline visa application, you must typically download the application form and fill it out with the necessary information. Then, at your designated visa application centre, you must submit the completed application form along with all necessary documentation.
For visa applications, different countries can have different procedures. Offline visa applications may not be accepted in many countries. The cost of applying for a visa often varies from country to country.
How do I check my visa status online?
You can check your visa status online. To check your visa status online, you must go to the visa status enquiry section of a particular embassy and have some details on hand. You may be asked to provide the following details in order to determine your passport visa status:
- Passport number
- Application ID
You can also check the status of your visa by going to a third-party website and entering your passport number and birth date. Using your passport number, you can easily monitor your visa status.
How do I check the status of my visa using my passport number?
The applicant should follow the following steps in order to check the status of the visa application by use of the passport number:
- Visit the country visit’s official visa website.
- Find the visa application status tracking option.
- Enter the passport number or acknowledgement number, as well as your birth date.
- Pass the captcha code then press “submit.”
The official visa website will display the status of your visa application.
When you apply for a visa at the embassy of the country you want to visit, you’ll be required to submit supporting documents along with your main visa application. A list of frequently requested supporting documentation is given below:
- Letter of invitation.
- Photocopy of your passport.
- 2 passport size photographs
- Proof of financial support during the trip.
- Travel insurance.
- Airplane tickets.
- Proof of purpose of travel.
- Visa application fees.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Here are some common concerns regarding visas and their application procedure.
Q: How long does it take to get a visa?
Ans: e-Visa is processed within 72 hours.
Q: How many times can I apply for an e-Visa?
Ans: e-Visa can be availed for a maximum of three times in a calendar year, that is between January to December.
Q: If my e-Visa application is denied, will my fees be refunded?
Ans: No, the e-Visa fee once submitted is non-refundable, as the fee is for the processing of the application and is not dependent on either Grant or Rejection of Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA).
Q: What should I do after I apply for my e-Visa?
Ans: Once the application is approved, the e-visa will be made available to your e-visa account. You should carry a copy of your Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) along with you at the time of travel.
Q: How long is an e-visa valid for?
Ans: The validity of e-Visa will be 60 days from the date of arrival in India. Double entry is permitted on e-Tourist Visa and e-Business Visa. Triple entry will be permitted on an e-Medical Visa.