If you own a vehicle in India, you might have heard of the High Security Registration Plate (HSRP) and the need to get it installed on your vehicle. But what is HSRP, and how can you apply for it? Here is a guide to help you understand and complete the process.
What Is a High Security Registration Plate (HSRP)?
HSRP (also known as High security number plate) is a tamper-proof and theft-resistant number plate. It has a hot stamped film applied chromium-based hologram of Ashoka chakra, a 10-digit permanent identification number (PIN). The hologram and the PIN are laser-branded on the plate, making it difficult to forge or duplicate. The RFID chip contains the vehicle’s details and can be scanned by the authorities for verification.
Why Do You Need HSRP?
HSRP was introduced by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) in 2005 as a measure to curb vehicle theft and ensure uniformity of number plates across the country. The Supreme Court of India made HSRP mandatory for all vehicles in 2012, and the MoRTH issued a notification in 2018 to enforce it.
According to the notification all new vehicles sold after 1st April 2019 must have HSRP pre-fitted by the manufacturers or dealers. All old vehicles registered before April 1, 2019, must get HSRP affixed by the Regional Transport Offices (RTOs) or authorised dealers.
How To Apply Online For HSRP?
The process of applying for HSRP varies from state to state, but generally involves the following steps:
- Visit the official website of your state’s transport department or the authorised vendor for HSRP. For example, if you live in Delhi or Uttar Pradesh, you can visit https://bookmyhsrp.com/.
- Click on the “Book” under “High Security Registration Plate with Colour Sticker” option.
- Enter your vehicle’s details such as registration number, engine number, chassis number, etc. and complete the captcha.
- Select the appropriate option if your vehicle is for commercial or private use.
- Pay the required fee online using a debit card, credit card, net banking, or UPI. The fee depends on the type and size of your vehicle and ranges from Rs. 300-400 for 2-wheelers and Rs. 600-1100 for 4-wheelers.
- Choose a date and time slot for the installation of HSRP at your nearest dealer or RTO.
- You will receive an SMS confirmation with a booking reference number and a QR code.
- On the day of installation, visit the dealer or RTO with your original vehicle registration certificate (RC), a copy of your Aadhaar card or any other identity proof, and the SMS confirmation.
- The dealer or RTO will verify your documents and install the HSRP on your vehicle. You will also receive a receipt with the details of your HSRP.
How to Check the HSRP Application Status?
Follow the below steps to check your HSRP application status:
- Visit the Book My HSRP site.
- Select the “Track Your Order” option from the menu on the home page.
- Fill in the details about your order number and vehicle registration number.
- Complete the captcha.
- To check the status, click on the “search” option.
What are the Steps to Apply For a Duplicate HSRP Number Plate Online?
Below are the steps to apply for a duplicate HSRP number plate:
- Go to the Book My HSRP website.
- Click on the ‘Replacement Booking’ option from the top of the webpage.
- Provide the engine number, registration number, chassis number and other details of the vehicle.
- Select the state of the vehicle registration.
- Complete the captcha and click on ‘click here’.
- To get the number plate fitted to your vehicle, select the appointment date and location.
- Verify and review all the details provided.
- Pay the sum and download the receipt.
What Are The Benefits Of HSRP?
HSRP has several benefits for both vehicle owners and authorities, such as:
- It enhances the security and safety of your vehicle by preventing theft, cloning, or misuse.
- It helps in identifying and tracking stolen or lost vehicles using the RFID chip.
- It facilitates the implementation of the e-challan system and toll collection using FASTag.
- It ensures uniformity and standardisation of number plates across the country.
- It reduces air pollution by discouraging old and unfit vehicles from plying on roads.
Documents Required For HSRP Registration:
During the online booking process, you won’t have to upload any official documents. Simply provide your vehicle’s registration details. However, when you visit the dealer for affixing the HSRP, make sure to carry the following documents:
- Copy of your vehicle’s Registration Certificate (RC)
- Payment confirmation receipt.
What Are The Penalties For Not Having HSRP?
If you do not have an HSRP number on your vehicle, you may face legal action from the authorities. According to the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, driving a vehicle without a valid number plate is an offence that attracts a fine of Rs. 5000 or imprisonment for up to six months or both.
Moreover, you may also face difficulties in renewing your insurance or transferring your ownership if you do not have HSRP. Therefore, it is advisable to get HSRP installed on your vehicle as soon as possible and comply with the law.
What Is The HSRP Colour-Coded Sticker?
You have to get an HSRP sticker for your windshield along with the high security number plate. The sticker has a colour code that shows the fuel type of your vehicle. It costs around Rs. 100 and you can get it with or without the HSRP.
The HSRP sticker has the following features.
- It shows the fuel type of your vehicle by its colour. Green for electric vehicles, blue for petrol/CNG vehicles, and orange for diesel vehicles.
- It has a green line on the top of your vehicle meets the BS6 emission standards.
- It helps the government to identify old vehicles based on their fuel type and emission norms. This will make it easier for traffic authorities to enforce environmental laws.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. Is it mandatory for everyone to get HSRP?
Ans: Yes, If you are an Indian citizen with a registered vehicle, you need to have an HSRP.
2. Which details are mentioned on the colour code third registration plate stickers?
Ans: The Third Registration Plate has the below details:
- Name of the authority registering the vehicle
- Vehicle’s registration number
- Laser branded PIN
- The first registration date of the vehicle
3. How many vehicle classes exist as per CMVR?
Ans: According to CMVR, following vehicle classes exist:
- Non-Transport Vehicles
- Transport Vehicles
- Transport Vehicles under rent-a-cab
- Transport Vehicles under rent-a-cab (Battery Operated)
- Battery Operated Vehicle Non-Transport
- Battery Operated Vehicle Transport
4. Can anyone request just the registration plate colour coded stickers?
Ans: Yes, you can book for ONLY STICKER, in case you have installed the HSRP only select the “ONLY STICKER” option and provide the unique laser codes printed on the bottom of the left-hand side of the HSRP plate.